Despite the ads, Ontario is not the #1 province for online betting

According to a recent survey, Ontario is behind Atlantic Canada and tied with British Columbia when it comes to adults registered for online betting.

While Ontario led the way by opening its legal online betting market to private competition, sparking an ad campaign that ruffled regulators and raised concerns among addiction experts, Atlantic Canada has the largest proportion adults registered to place bets.

That’s according to a recent Ipsos poll suggesting that more Canadians than ever are betting online. The data was collected between May 10 and May 13 from 2,001 Canadians over the age of 18.

Federal lawmakers gave provinces and territories the power to regulate new forms of gambling last summer, following the passage of Bill C-218, the Safe and Regulated Sports Betting Act.

While most regions have chosen to give exclusive control to provincially run lotteries, Ontario has opened its market to private competition. The decision sparked a flurry of publicity, celebrity endorsements and media deals involving some of the biggest names in the global gambling industry. years, continue to capture a significant share of the Canadian market.

Despite the fanfare and open legal competition in Ontario, Ipsos found that the Atlantic region, where the Atlantic Lottery Corporation controls the legal action of online betting, had the highest proportion of Canadian adults. registered to play, at 41%.

One-third (33%) of Ontario adults who participated in the survey said they are registered with at least one online betting platform. This places the province slightly above the national average of 30%.

British Columbia, another province where the government has sole control, tied Ontario at 33%, followed by Quebec at 26%, Alberta at 24% and Manitoba/Saskatchewan at 22%.

In Ontario, Ipsos found that the percentage of Ontarians who registered with private gaming operators is almost equal to the percentage who registered on the government platform, at 25% and 23%, respectively. . This trend continued in all other regions except Quebec, where took a slight lead.

In terms of dollars, Canadians prefer private operators to government platforms, stating that around 44% of bets go to one of the provincial government sites, while the rest (56%) goes to private operator platforms. . In Ontario, the only province where private competition is legal, 43% of reported spending went to the government site

Earlier this year, a poll by Deloitte Canada revealed that only 19% of respondents knew that new forms of gambling had become legal in Canada. Ipsos found that 26% of Canadians knew Ontario was open to private competition, but that number jumped to 41% among Ontarians.

Deloitte predicted that sports betting operators in Ontario and provinces that potentially follow its lead in embracing competition could see significant “turnover” as customers test new apps and platforms and seek to take advantage of offers. promotional.

Ipsos found that the average Canadian who gambles online is listed on three or four websites (3.6 is the national average). Atlantic Canada leads the country in the number of websites used, with an average of 4.7. Manitoba/Saskatchewan was the lowest at 2.7.

Jeff Lagerquist is a senior reporter at Yahoo Finance Canada. Follow him on Twitter @jefflagerquist.

Download the Yahoo Finance app, available for Apple and android.

Source link

Back To Top