Charles Oliveira picked up an early victory ahead of his massive tilt for the UFC 280 title this weekend (Saturday, October 22, 2022).
Although Oliveira is no longer the current lightweight title holder, virtually everyone in the community considers him the champion. Unfortunately, a half-pound shortfall led to Oliveira being stripped ahead of his final outing in May 2022. Oliveira then finished Gaethje early in the first round, submitting him with a rear-end choke (watch highlights ).
MMA Fighting confirmed today (Thursday, Oct. 20, 2022) that “Do Bronx” has already hit the 155-pound mark approximately eight hours before the official UFC 280 weigh-ins, according to his trainer, Diego Lima. Consequently, he should not to be a funny business this time around. A video of the celebrating team can be seen embedded above.
“We’re going to bed mission accomplished, weight done with excellence – one of our best weight cuts yet,” Lima said.
Oliveira has lost weight a total of five times in his UFC career, including four during his Featherweight run.
Check out the full UFC 280 lineup below:
- 155 lbs: (C) – Charles Oliveira vs. Islam Makhachev
- 135 lbs: (C)Aljamain Sterling versus. TJ Dillashaw
- 135 pounds: petr yan versus. Sean O’Malley
- 155 pounds: Beneil Dariush versus. Mateusz Gamrot
- 125 pounds: Katlyn Chookagian versus. Manon Fiorot
- 170 pounds: Belal Muhammad versus. Sean Brady
- 185 pounds: Makhmoud Muradov versus. Caio Borralho
- 205 pounds: Nikita Krylov versus. Oezdemir Volcano
- 145 pounds: Zubaira Tukhugov versus. Lucas Almeida
- 170 pounds: Abubakar Nurmagomedov versus. Gadzhi Omargadzhiev
- 185 pounds: Armen Petrosyan against AJ Dobson
- 125 pounds: Muhammad Mokaev versus. Malcolm Gordon
- 135 pounds: Karol Rose against Lina Lansberg
remember that MMAmania.com will provide live, round-by-round, blow-by-blow coverage of the entire UFC 280 fight card right herestarting with the first ESPNEWS/ESPN+ Online “Preliminaries” matches, which are due to start at 10 a.m. ET, then the rest of the undercard (also on ESPNEWS/ESPN+) at 12:00 p.m. ET, prior to the PPV main card start time at 2:00 p.m. ET on ESPN+ VPP.
For all the latest and greatest UFC 280: ‘Oliveira vs. Makhachev’ news and notes, be sure to check out our full event archive to the right. here.